There are better ways to make tacos. Sure, some good seasoned ground beef or chicken in flour tortilla can be good in it’s own right. But, it pleas in comparison to the height of flavor achieved with this Oven Baked Beef Taco Supreme recipe. By baking your tacos first, the meat, cheese and corn tortilla shell are brought to their maximum flavor. Top it with your favorite supreme taco toppings and you’re in business.
One of the cool things about tacos is that there are seemingly endless ways to prepare them. Chicken, shrimp, beef, beef, pork, tofu, eggplant – you name it, you can taco it. Then you get into soft shell, hard shell, bowl, salad, quesadilla, you name it. The taco possibilities are endless. Admittedly, I tend to go soft shell for most of my tacos, but that’s often because I find hard shell to be boring and bland. That’s where this oven baked beef taco supreme recipe comes in to save the day. Adios, bland hard shell. Hola, deliciousness.
Oven Baked Beef Taco Supreme – How to make it
This best part of this oven baked beef taco supreme recipe is how delicious it is. The second best part is how easy it is. This is definitely a recipe any novice can nail.
Preheat your large pan over medium heat. Add in 1 pound of lean ground and 1 medium diced onoin, which you’ll cook until the meat turns brown. Drain any fat from the pan and return to the heat. Next, you’ll add in 1 small can of Rotel tomatoes. We have some sensitive pallets at my dinner table, so I just grabbed the mild type, but feel free to add some spice. Add in your packet of taco seasoning, 1/4 cup of water and mix.
Continue cooking the meat until the seasoning thickens an your tomatoes soften. This still will take you about five minutes.
Once your meat is finished, remove it from the heat and grab a 12/6 inch casserole dish. Next, arrange your taco shells so they are standing in the pan. Begin with a pinch of shredded Mexican cheese in the bottom of each taco. Then scoop in your beef evenly into each shell. Then, top with more cheese and bake at 400 degrees for about 12 minutes.
Lastly, it’s time to top your tacos. I like the following ingredients, in this order:
- One line Taco Bell taco sauce.
- one line sour cream
- diced tomatoes
- shredded lettuce
Obviously, you can add whatever awesome taco topping your little heart desires. I served this with rice, but it would go well with a guacamole salad or even steamed green veggies!
Inspired by Spend with Pennies.
Super Easy Oven Baked Beef Taco Supreme
- 1 lb Lean ground beef
- 1 Medium minced onion
- 1 Small can rotel tomatoes
- 1 Packet taco seasoning
- 8 oz Shredded mexican cheese
- 12 Hard taco shells
- Taco bell taco sauce
- Shredded lettuce
- chopped fresh tomatoes
- sour cream
- Brown taco meat in a large pan and diced oinon, chopping with the end of your spatula to break meat into small pieces.
- Drain fat.
- Add 1/4 cup water, rotel tomatoes and taco seasoning. Mix well, continues to break the meat with the end of your spatula.
- Cook until the sauce becomes thick and the tomatoes soften.
- Arrange taco shells in a casserole dish so they are standing up. You can ball up tin foil between the shells if you need to.
- Sprinkle the bottom of each shell with a little cheese.
- Spoon in your meat mixture, distributed evenly among the shells
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 400 for about 12 minutes, until cheese begins to brown.
- Remove tacos from oven and top with taco sauce, sour cream, tomatoes and shredded lettuce.